Sunday, June 01, 2008

'SEX' review


Sex and the City: Finally a penis. Well I just got back for the Sex in the City movie. It was cute and nice to finally see an episode of ‘Sex’ that I haven’t seen yet. This much awaited fairy tale for middle aged women and young gay men serves up a fabulous concoction of in vogue high couture, high heels and high tension. I enjoyed the movie but enjoyed the show better (p.s. if you haven’t seen the show I wouldn’t really suggest seeing the movie). My favorite part of the movie was the opening scene which flashed clips of the show to keep the audience up to date on the characters.

“Where is he, I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted! WHERE IS HE?"

Oh Charolette, truer words have never been spoken.

But the movie lacked in Carrie’s usual observant quips and neurotic voiceovers that gave the series heat and the viewers hope. It also lacked the vintage casual look replacing it with over the top fashion. So much of the show, in my opinion, bordered such reality my time spent with the four ladies easily rivals that of my own revelations and relationship. The shitty men, crappy apartments and computer problems gave it such a real quality the movie missed. Off the screen the well known cat fights between Sara and Kim creeped onto the big screen as the two rarely had scenes together. On different coasts and even in the movie’s climactic breakdown scene, Sam stayed as the other two rush to Carry’s side. From the photoshopped looking poster to the plot placing Kim, the ultimate NYC gal, in LA. I couldn’t help but ask, without Sam in the city is it still sex and the city?

The two things I loved in this movie were Carry’s ducked tape phone and the full frontal male nudity. Finally! We got what the girls were getting all along. But here is a question for Mrs. Bradshaw: what is better: Penis or Puns.


The movie picks up 4 or so years after season 8 "Big: "It took me a really long time to get here, but I'm here. Carrie, you're the one." - "An American Girl in Paris (Part Deux)" and we get to see Carry's wedding consuption, Charolette's new found gumption, Mirrand's family disfuntion and Sam's... well how about samantha's suction.

Well I did enjoy and it was a great time reuniting with friends but at the end of the day you all realized that all good things have to come to an end. Because it is a good time, a fun show but vapid and left me missing the old sex in the city, i will give it *****



No comments: