Friday, January 22, 2010

Obama Rank: Promise Kept or Change Achieved?


THIS IS GREAT!!!! Politifact has been counting up Obama’s post-election success and pre-election promises. I have been trying to do the same… but this guy was far more successful- stupid office work, family, social life and boyfriend getting in the way of my obsession of tracking and measuring... things and stuff. Check our this amazing Obamameter from the St. Petersburg Times newspaper: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

"PolitiFact has compiled more than 500 promises that Barack Obama made during the campaign and is tracking their progress on our Obameter."
The pole contrasts Promises Kept, Compromised, Promises Broken, Stalled, In the Works. There are a few pieces I would like to point out, firstly that it has only been one year since taking the oath and I cant seem to remember any other president that has received such unprecedented attention for only a single year in office, perhaps it is because of my second point. 2- These are some massive issue and yes, that is probably why so many are so impatient and are receiving a lot of attention thus for only one year I can understand where “In the Works” is an important measurement for meter. Thirdly, I take issue with the term “Compromised” as its own singular force. I would like to remind everyone of his initial promise to reach across the aisle and:
“A good compromise, a good piece of legislation, is like a good sentence; or a good piece of music. Everybody can recognize it. They say, 'Huh. It works. It makes sense.”

“I think that there's a tradition of us working together to make sure that we are dealing with the threats that are out there and that we are building a consensus here in the United States. That's the kind of approach I intend to take when I'm president of the United States.”
With all this, allow the numbers still speak for themselves- do the math and add it up, 124 accomplishments, 276 working towards and 16 lost of about 505.

I wish this was on Stumble, or trending topics, or even Digg. But I don’t think people are as excited NOR really want to be informed. From what I have experienced (regardless of the facts) if people like him- he has kept his promises, if people don’t like him- then he just hasn’t. Not much middle ground, not much fact-base, not much anything beyond “well, I feel that he has…..” But that’s why I want people to really look at it.

Get informed and inform others.



No comments: